Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 23, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, May 23, 2017

"It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. ...But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal." - Alcoholics Anonymous, Third Edition, 1976, Ch 5, p 66

Today, understand and accept that resentments are both futile and unhappy and, by holding onto them, these words are gospel: " ...(H)arboring such (resentment), we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die." Because I cannot afford to empower anything so strongly that my sobriety and, maybe, my life are imperiled, I will listen to my Higher Power for the way to release to Him my resentments without taking them back. By holding onto resentment, I must see that I am still spiritually sick and that the sickness can trigger a slip or relapse. Today, I seek with sincerity and humility the courage, strength and willingness to release that which I cannot control - and not take it back. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment