Tuesday, May 16, 2017

May 16, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Reflection for the Day
Many of us in The Program share the memory that we originally drank or used other chemicals to "belong," to "fit in" or to "be a part of the crowd." Others of us fueled our addictions to "get in" - to feel, at least for a short time, that we fitted in with the rest of the human race. Sometimes, the chemicals had the desired effect, temporarily assuaging our feelings of apartness. But when the chemicals' effects wore off, we were left feeling more alone, more left out, more "different" than ever.

Do I still sometimes feel that "my case is different?"

Today I Pray
God, may I get over my feeling of being "different" or in some way unique, of not belonging. It was this feeling that led me to my chemical use in the first place. It also kept me from seeing the seriousness of my addiction, since I thought, "I am different. I can handle it." May I now be aware that I do belong, to a vast fellowship of people like me. With every shared experience, my "uniqueness" is disappearing.

Today I Will Remember
I am not unique.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment