Wednesday, May 17, 2017

May 17, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Reflection for the Day
If we felt guilty, degraded or ashamed of either our addiction itself or the things we did while "under the influence," that served to magnify our feelings of being outcasts. On occasion, we secretly feared or actually believed that we deserved every painful feeling; we thought, at times, that we truly were outsiders. The dark tunnel of our lives seemed formidable and unending. We couldn't even voice our feelings and could hardly bear to think about them. So we soon drank or used again.

Do I remember well what it used to be like?

Today I Pray
May I remember how often, during my days of using chemicals, I felt alone with my shame and guilt. The phony jollity of a drinking party or the shallow relationships struck up at a bar could not keep me from feeling like an outsider. May I appreciate the chance to make new friends through the fellowship of the group. May I know that my relationships now will be saner, less dependent, more mature.

Today I Will Remember
Thank God for new friends.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment