Tuesday, May 16, 2017

May 16, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, May 16, 2017

"The fact is that most alcoholics ...have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically non-existent. We are unable ...to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink." - Alcoholics Anonymous, Third Edition, 1976, Ch 2, p 24.

Today, the lie of "just one" and the truth that my defense that rests partly on a Higher Power of my understanding. I need only to review with honesty my drinking history and its trail of broken bottles that were opened on the promise of "just one drink." And if the Big Book is correct that the memory of "the suffering and humiliation" of my last try at just one drink doesn't last more than a month at best, I pray for the wisdom to search beyond the impotence of my own devices to overcome any temptation. Today, that search beyond leads me to my Higher Power in whom I must place my trust, faith, hope and confidence to rise above temptation. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment