Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 21, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden

Saturday, April 21, 2012
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

There's a big difference between being dishonest and respecting my own privacy.

There might be things that have happened in my past that I don't need or want to share with others. I don't have to share private thoughts or situations with everyone. I can choose when and with whom I will share this information. I can decide what I want to share with others without being dishonest.

Telling the truth is necessary to move forward in my healing, but sharing every detail about myself is not. If people ask questions about my past and I don't feel comfortable answering them, I don't have to. I can simply say, "I don't feel comfortable discussing that" or "That's too personal, and I don't want to talk about it." When working with my therapist, I will be totally honest about everything. When I'm applying for a job or meeting new friends in a social setting, I can respect my own privacy by not revealing everything about me. I will use my best judgment when deciding what to share and when to be honest. Ultimately the most important person to be honest with is myself.

Today I will be honest with myself and learn when to share personal information with others.
From the book:
Time to Fly Free © 2001 by Judith R. Smith. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment