Saturday, February 25, 2023

Feb. 25, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Rule 62: Don’t Take Yourself So Damn Seriously

On bad days when I’m struggling, I pull a few coins out of my pocket that I’ve gathered over the years. These coins have phrases on them that remind me of key lessons I need to remember.

One of these coins has “Rule 62” on it.

Rule 62 is shorthand for an important reminder. It’s the rule that says, “Don’t take yourself so damn seriously.” After all, sometimes the challenges we face on a daily basis seem like they are the worst thing in the world. But if I take a step back, and I remember that the most awful day in sobriety is better than sleeping on that step when I was homeless, then I can start to find the humor in what I’m going through today. I can get perspective and feel grateful for the life that God has given me.

My sober community helps too. I call them, and we laugh about what is going on in each other’s lives. We keep each other grounded.

Just for today, I will keep things in perspective and not take myself so seriously.

— Dan N., U.S. Army, 1971–1977

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment