Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Feb. 14, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

He that shuts love out, in turn, shall be shut out from love.

Alfred Tennyson

Addiction caused us to turn away from love. We started to feel things weren’t right; this feeling was a message of love from our Higher Power. We used denial or blame to turn away. Our family members told us they were worried; this was another message of love. We argued and blamed them. Our friends expressed concerns, still another message of love. We dumped them and got new friends. And then we wondered why we felt like love had turned its back on us.

Recovery pushes us back toward love. People treat us with care and kindness; these are messages of love. They ask that we turn to a Higher Power, a further message of love. We used to shut out love because our addiction demanded this of us. Now we must embrace love because our recovery requires this of us.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me to do what love asks of me, even when I’m scared.

Today’s Action

I will list the ways I shut out love during my active addiction. Am I doing any of these today? I will use my Tenth Step to keep track of my relationship with love.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment