Sunday, June 19, 2022

June 19, 2022 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

 

Step by Step
Sunday, June 19, 2022

" ...(O)ur troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so. Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kills us!" Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 5 ("How It Works"), p 62.

Today, believe and accept that my troubles are of my own creation and that selfishness is the binding tie. Before and during my drinking days, I ran my life on my terms, my rules, my wants, needs, expectations and passions. And always, the results were disastrous and, if I am to be thoroughly honest, grew progressively worse. To whom or what, then, do I entrust my life if I can't run it? Herein is the introduction to the concept of a Higher Power, an entity stronger than me, or God as we understand Him. And even if I do not or cannot yet believe in a Higher Power or God, my willingness to at least be open to the possibility is a beginning - toward humility. Today, I am open to the possibility that something higher and wiser can run my life better than me - and my journey to recovery begins. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment