Sunday, March 21, 2021

March 21, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

 

Step by Step

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Today, the Seventh Step and asking a Higher Power, in willingness and humility, for the knowledge to let go of my character defects, chief among them anger and resentment. But Step Six warns that I must be "entirely ready" to release those defects. So how do I become "entirely ready?"  If I find myself obsessed with anger or resentment against someone or something, even justifiably - if anger and resentment can be justified - and I play out in my mind a scenario of "revenge," I am thwarting a potential higher quality of sobriety than I might otherwise have. And I empower the person or situation that I resent to the extent that they actually control me, then it's time to let go of the anger and resentment and leave to a Higher Power whoever or whatever angers me. Today, entirely ready, ask a Higher Power to take the emotions I cannot handle and for the discipline not to take them back. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment