Wednesday, March 17, 2021

March 17, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 


Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Being Practical

Theories are like the tail feathers of a rooster, highly ornamental but not much use in a high wind. — Arthur E. Holt

Theories for effective living are important, but unless we put them into action, they are worthless. The Twelve Steps and the slogans are among the theories that have been tested by millions who have put them into action. They have withstood the “high winds” of living.

Meditation on some theories may do nothing for our recovery except make us feel better. Even this is useful. By working the kinds of behavior and thinking in our lives that we find in theories, we make those theories into practical realities.

It is less important to look well than to be well. Theories by themselves look good. Working them makes us good.

What I ask for while I am on my knees in prayer is never as vital to me as what I do with the answers I receive once I am back on my feet.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment