Sunday, March 14, 2021

March 14, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

You can’t be walked on unless you’re lying on the floor. — Sylvia L.

A woman told her group about the problems she was having with her kids. It seems they never did what they were told, didn’t go to school unless they felt like it, and were often verbally abusive. In general, they pretty much did whatever they pleased. Of course, this caused their mother a great deal of pain. As an adult child, she was asking the group for direction.

One of the members who had been sitting quietly slipped in this little gem of wisdom, “You can’t be walked on unless you’re lying on the floor. If you don’t like the footprints on your back, why don’t you stand up?”

The abused parent probably didn’t like to hear that, but it was the truth. At times, we all tend to blame our problems with others on their stubbornness or selfishness. But the other side of that picture, the side we can do something about, has to do with passivity.

Today, I ask my Higher Power to back me up when I assert my rights. Today, I will not let myself be abused.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment