Friday, March 19, 2021

March 19, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Friday, March 19, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

I stand before you as a tower of strength, the weight of the world on my shoulders. As you pass through my life, look, but not too close, for I fear l will expose the vulnerable me. — Deidra Sarault

Vulnerability is as much a part of being human as is strength. Our vulnerability prevents our strength from becoming hard, brittle, self-serving. Our soft edges invite others’ openness and their expressions of love.

We learned long ago to be “strong”. We were encouraged to need no help, to need nobody. Now, we struggle to ask for help. As we grow in understanding of our human needs, and as we become more aware of the spiritual help avail­ able, the difficulty of reaching out to others is eased.

No longer need we look to pills, booze, food, or lovers for strength. All the strength we’ll ever need is as close as our thoughts. At this moment, we are a tower of strength, not one weighted with burdens. Rather, our strength is a gift of our connection to a spiritual power that can free us from all the troubles we shoulder. Our vulnerable selves will open our souls to the flood of strength just waiting for our prayers.

I will be as strong as I need to be when l tap the spiritual source that awaits my call. I will risk my vulnerable self today.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment