Saturday, June 10, 2017

June 10, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Saturday, June 10, 2017

Today, whether a veteran or newcomer to the program or how many or few 24 Hours of sobriety I have, give me courage to trust enough to reach out to share my experiences, worries, fears and foibles. And in so doing, perhaps I can dent the wall of self-isolation that I built in my drinking days but might still stand despite putting those drinking days in the past. Self-imposed isolation and loneliness became habitual because of alcohol, and the habit of being constantly on guard might remain a formidable one to change. Let my history remind me that, when I first came to the program, I was greeted by people who made me feel less helpless, less hopeless, less afraid, less lonely. If now I grapple with some issue that I don't think anyone would understand or wants to be saddled with, let me realize that the weight of what I carry might lessen if for no other reason than receiving support from the same people who welcomed me when I gave up alcohol. Today, left me chip away at any wall of self-isolation that remains. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment