Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Aug. 14, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Wednesday,  Aug. 14, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

God, grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change ...

-- The Serenity Prayer

The Serenity Prayer starts by having us ask our Higher Power to grant serenity that leads to acceptance of the unchangeable. We reach out. We let our Higher Power put an end to our struggle.

As using addicts, we refused to accept our illness; we struggled against chains that we could not remove. The good thing about acceptance is that it saves energy. When we accept our illness, energy that went to our illness and defenses is freed up to be used for our recovery, our healing.

Prayer is always about reaching outside of ourselves, about stepping outside of our egos, our instincts, our all-consuming troubles. The Serenity Prayer is about us reaching out for our Higher Power's peace, grace, and healing.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, touch me with your peace and grace. Help me to accept my illness and the things I can't change. Please use the energy that acceptance frees up to help me be the person you want me to be.


Today's Action


Today I will make a list of all the things I am now struggling against that I can't change. Throughout the day, I will ask my Higher Power to help me accept the things I can't change.


Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment