Saturday, February 3, 2018

Feb. 3, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

I’m slipping when I begin to dislike the company and conversation of the Program.
 — Anonymous

There is a reason why a lamb gets separated from a flock.

The flock will be eating on a particular pasture and a lamb will take a fancy to graze just off to the edge of the field. So the lamb takes a little nibble of this grass. Then he moves just ever so slightly further from the edge and takes another little nibble, then just a bit further and another nibble.

Each little nibble of grass takes the lamb further and further from the flock. After awhile, having eaten enough grass, the lamb pokes his head up and notices that the flock has left him. B-A-A-A-A-A! The lamb wails. How could his flock have left him?

I will begin slipping when I stop paying attention to my flock. My group will not leave me: I will leave my group. I will leave like the lamb, just one conversation, and one meeting at a time. After awhile I, too, could end up wailing for help just like the little lamb.

You are reading from the book:

Easy Does It © 1999 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment