Saturday, November 18, 2017

Nov. 18, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017
Today's thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Newcomer
You've told me I should pray for someone who's been causing me all sorts of problems. But that's not going to change that person, is it?

Sponsor
I've heard various descriptions of how prayer works. Some say God listens, some say our thoughts affect the energy of the universe and create change; some say that we're conditioning ourselves to transform our own attitudes, and that attitudes, good and bad, are contagious. It's a mystery but it does work.

Someone I worked with seemed so disrespectful and unpleasant that I dreaded encounters with her. I began saying a daily prayer for her health and complete happiness. Before gatherings that included her, I prayed that communication between us would be easy and smooth and that each person's highest good in that situation would be realized. The effects were dramatic. I experienced relief from my fear of facing her and began to see her as a whole human being. I genuinely began to want her well-being. For whatever reason, she stopped turning her back on me and sometimes actually smiled.

I'm not suggesting that we try to manipulate others to behave as we wish. Specific results and timetables aren't in our hands. But I do know that our prayers are always effective in furthering our own and others' processes of healing.

Today, I pray for others, placing them in my Higher Power's hands.
You are reading from the book:
If You Want What We Have © 1998 by Joan Larkin

No comments:

Post a Comment