Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 24, 2012 - Just for Today

Just for Today
Thursday, May 24, 2012

"Let no alcoholic say he cannot recover unless he has his family back. This just isn't so. In some cases, the (spouse) will never come back ...(R)ecovery is not dependent upon people. It is dependent upon his relationship with God." - Alcoholics Anonymous, Third Edition, 1976, Ch 7, pp 99-100.

Just for today, grant me understanding of why my alcoholism, sobriety and recovery are dependent only on me and that I cannot make my recovery a condition of what someone else does or how some situation plays out. Just as none of those dynamics can be "blamed" for my alcoholic drinking, neither can they be the reason for my recovery. To place conditions of my sobriety or someone or something else does little more than substantiate my refusal to take responsibility and consequence and exert emotional blackmail on an external source that I cannot or will not stop drinking if I don't get from them what I want. Today, my addiction, my character defect, my soul sickness are my responsibility, the result of my reckless and selfish behavior, and no one else's fault; likewise, no one and nothing outside of me is responsible for my recovery. And if addiction is as selfish as the Program says, then so it is for my recovery. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment