Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 11, 2012 - Just for Today

Just for Today
Sunday, March 11, 2012

Just for today, should I feel "tempted" to drink "just one" or if the "temptation" extends to "just one more night," let me have the honesty to admit to myself that I have already premeditated the pending slip or relapse and that I find the wisdom "to change the things I can." And a "temptation" is something I CAN change. Grant me the courage to do what the Program suggests when temptation calls: reach out to a sponsor, a co-member, or even an online contact BEFORE I take the drink. Asking for help AFTER the drink is too late. And if I don't have the sense to seek help before the drink, let me remember the yesterdays of morning after's and their residue: hangovers, shakes, guilt, remorse, memory loss, fear, shame. Is any of that worth the "instant gratification" of a drink and, with all honesty, does my drinking history have even ONE instance of cutting myself off after "just one?" Today, if I am "tempted," let me have the courage to muster the honesty to tell myself that I am premeditating a relapse, that a "slip" is a myth and that the consequence simply isn't worth it. And, today, I'll call help. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment