Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Jan. 26, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Make new friends and keep the old; one is silver and the other gold. — Joseph Parry

Friendship is wonderful. But what is true friendship? This is a question we encounter in early recovery, and it will be important for the rest of our lives.

A friend is someone we know, like, and trust. When we first get sober, we should look at the people we call friends. Are the things we like about them important to our healthy self or things our Inner Addict likes?

We become like our friends. That is why it is important to choose friends we want to be like. It takes work to sort this out when we first get sober because we have collected “friends” who are bad for us.

Where do we find good friends? First we can look to the people we knew, liked, and trusted before our addiction. Next we can look in our recovery groups. When we are a friend to the right person, then we will have a friend.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me to choose friends, old and new, who help me be the person I really want to be. Help me be that kind of a friend to them, too.

Today’s Action

I will list the five people who have been my closest friends in my life. What do I like about each of them? Would I trust them to help me be my best?

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment