Saturday, November 21, 2020

Nov. 21, 2020 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Character is what a person is in the dark. — Dwight L. Moody

How many of us act differently when no one can see us? During the worst days of our illness, we used to steal, lie, and leave messes for someone else to pick up. It is often said in the rooms of recovery that “we are as sick as our secrets.”

The longer we are in recovery, the more clear the answer becomes: we are the same person wherever we go whether anyone can see us or not.

Most often the things we used to “get away with” hurt us a lot more than they hurt anyone else. We practice being responsible to ourselves because we know what we are doing. We practice on the little things, like making our bed every morning, whether anyone knows it or not. Why? Because we feel better when we have done our little duties. We practice telling the truth, especially to ourselves, because our addiction wants to make us dishonest.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, please help me heal and recover, even in the most secret parts of my life.

Today’s Action

Have I done anything today that I am keeping secret? Why? When I really take a good look at my secrets, what do I think about them?

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment