Wednesday, March 18, 2020

March 18, 2020 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Wednesday, March 18, 2020
Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:
There is more to life than increasing its speed. — Mohandas Gandhi
We live in a fast-paced world. It will not be slowing down. And as addicts, we often enjoyed the intensity and drama that living a fast-paced life creates. The rhythm of addiction is fast and chaotic.
Recovery has a different rhythm, a different pace. We need to go at a pace that allows us to stay connected. Connected to others, connected to our Higher Power, connected to our values. In recovery, we reduce our speed. We meditate. We sit in meetings and adjust ourselves to the pace of the meeting. In slowing down, we start to see the details of life; it is in the details that we find meaning, answers, solutions, and the beauty of life. We need to resist the pace of the world around us and embrace the pace of the spirit.
Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, help me slow down to your pace. Yours is a steady, sure pace like the sun moving across the sky, slow and steady. Help me resist the temptations of this world, one of them being speed.
Today’s Action
Today I will work to be conscious of the pace I move at. I will ask this question throughout my day: “Am I moving at a pace that allows me to stay connected to my Higher Power and to recovery?”
Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment