Monday, May 7, 2018

May 7, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Monday, May 7, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Presence

“C’mon. Hurry. Let’s go,” my friend said, shifting nervously from one foot to the other.

I looked around. Another friend, Michael, had just walked into the room. I hadn’t seen him for a while. I felt compelled to go over and talk to him, even though I didn’t have anything important to say.

“Please, let’s go,” my friend said again. I started to leave with him, then changed my mind.

“Give me just a few minutes,” I said, walking away from my friend and moving toward Michael. We didn’t talk about much, Michael and I. But I’ll never forget that conversation. He was killed in an accident two weeks later.

Some people suggest that our biggest regret when we die will be that we didn’t work less and spend more time with the people we love. That may be true, but for me, I think it will be that I wasn’t more completely present for each person, task, and moment in my life.

Action: Do you remember the “stop, look, and, listen” slogan from when you were a child? Every so often, even for a few minutes each day, try to remember to practice it.

Slow down or stop – depending on how fast you’re going.

Look – see where you are, whom you’re with, what you’re doing. Give whatever you’re doing your attention.

Listen – as much as possible, quell your anxiety, cease your mental chatter, and just listen to nature, to other people, to God, and to yourself.

You are reading from the book:
52 Weeks of Conscious Contact © 2003 by Melody Beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment