Thursday, May 24, 2018

May 24, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Thursday, May 24, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

The Land of Tears

I’ve lived for years in the land of tears-and there’s no escape from the sadness.

By day, I retreat, pushing other people away, and I roam the dark house every night. I cry, I pull myself together, and I crawl back into bed. I get up, I fall down, and I try not to drown. I can’t eat. I eat too much. I eat away at the fears and worries that are eating away at me. I slap on a smile, I force out a laugh, even on days when I don’t make my bed and don’t take a bath. I build up a wall, I knock it back down. My love and loyalty get kicked all around. I pretend to be strong. I pretend not to hurt. I try to believe things are going to get better, but too often I don’t believe they will. I suffer in silence; I feel so alone.

I’ve lived for years in the land of tears-and there’s no escape from the sadness.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
 — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

You are reading from the book:

Tending Dandelions © 2017 by Sandra Swenson

No comments:

Post a Comment