Saturday, May 26, 2018

May 26, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Saturday, May 26, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

I hope I shall follow firmness of virtue enough to maintain that I consider the most enviable of all titles – the character of an honest man.
 – George Washington

Happiness in recovery and in society depends on our honesty. We create pain for others, and ourselves, when we are dishonest. True honesty begins within each of us and flows out to touch those around us. If we are to be true to society, and to ourselves, we cannot feel one thing in our hearts and outwardly speak different views.

There is no such thing as too much honesty. When we practice honesty in all our affairs, we discover that the reason for being honest is not because it is expected of us, but because we find that honesty avoids problems and makes our life happier.

When I am honest with myself and others, I am making progress toward greatness of character.

You are reading from the book:

Easy Does It © 1999 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment