Friday, April 6, 2018

April 6, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, April 6, 2018

Today, gratitude for the freedom I have found in sobriety and that the physical and emotional sickness of active drinking exists no more. Drunk, I had no choice but to feel bad physically, mentally and spiritually. I had no choice but to do everything my way because there was no other way. I had no choice but to lie, if even sporadically, to hide or dodge the consequence of some misdeed. I had no choice but to feel self-loathing, pity, shame and guilt because I didn't know there could be something better. Sober, I have the choice to feel good. I have the choice to understand my way isn't always the best and seek the guidance of something stronger. I have the choice not to lie because I don't have to anymore. I have the choice to let go of self-deprecation because I have the beginning of a worthy self-image. Today, in sobriety, I have the freedom not to be jailed in the physical, emotional and spiritual cell of oblivion and, God granting, my path to freedom is built on the 12 Steps. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment