Tuesday, April 17, 2018

April 17, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Today, if I have avoided honesty in a relationship that began while drinking but now is broken because I have become sober and the other person hasn't, I must confront the possibility that I have out-grown the relationship if the other person chooses to keep drinking. Just like the drinking alcoholic who lost his family and gained sobriety but didn't get his family back, so it goes with other relationships. As difficult and painful the decision, the choice may be that my own recovery and sobriety are at the risk if I stay with a partner who is not ready or willing to get sober. A bittersweet product of sobering up may be the reality that I don't like the spouse or partner with whom alcohol was the tie that binds. A tough choice may boil down to the fact that I can't sacrifice my sobriety to salvage a relationship that, in recovery, may not be healthy. Today, if I have to end a relationship because I am becoming healthier and the other person isn't, I need only to look to my sobriety for validation. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment