Thursday, March 8, 2018

March 8, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Thursday, March 8, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Anticipate the good so that you may enjoy it.
 — Ethiopian Proverb

Newcomer
I’m getting closer to 90 days – I’m in the 80s now. I’m excited. It’s a miracle that I’ve been able to stay in recovery without interruption for this long. But I feel worried, too – or maybe I’m scared. I don’t know what I’m feeling!

Sponsor
“Anniversary anxiety” is something many of us experience in recovery. For the preceding days or weeks, we’re aware of the upcoming anniversary and its implications. We may anticipate speaking at a meeting or celebrating with recovering friends. Will we measure up to their expectation? To our own?

Perhaps we’ve been sharing our day count and enjoying the applause. As we approach 90 days, we may be afraid we’ll become “invisible” at meetings. Depending on local program and group customs, we may be eligible to chair meetings. Are we going to have to handle more responsibilities than we feel ready for? The day of the anniversary itself, and the days following it, may be a setup for feeling as if we’ve graduated or won an athletic event. We may be afraid that recovery will disappoint us, once the cheering dies down.

It helps to know that this phenomenon is a common one. If you’re experiencing it, one of the best antidotes is to share your concerns, both at meetings and with a sponsor. We’ve been there.

Today, I use the same tools of recovery that worked in the very beginning: meetings, sharing, reading recovery literature, and prayer. They work.

You are reading from the book:
If You Want What We Have © 1998 by Joan Larkin

No comments:

Post a Comment