Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sept. 20, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017

"To most of us, making amends will take the rest of our lives, but we can start immediately. Just being sober will be making amends to many we have hurt by our drunken actions. Making amends is sometimes doing what we are capable of doing but failed to do because of alcohol; carrying out community responsibilities such as Community Funds, Red Cross, educational and religious activities in proportion to our abilities and energies." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 10 ("It Might Have Been Worse"), pp 381-82.

Today, I know I owe amends not only for what I have done but for what I didn't do. If in my drinking days, or even now, I neglected to be a faithful spouse or partner, a nurturing parent, a productive employee or if I have failed to let go of a litany of character defects, atoning for failing to do what I should have done is as important as atoning for what I did do and shouldn't have. To many people and in many cases, direct amends are not and may never be possible. But I can pray that my strongest and sincerest amend is to work for and remain sober. This is why we, the people of AA, are here. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment