Monday, September 2, 2024

Sept. 2, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

 

Step by Step

Monday, Sept. 2, 2024

Today, simplify the Program as it relates to my recovery to three basic concepts: choice, consequences, and responsibility. If I take the infamous first drink or use, after all the excuses or justifications I can think of and all the blame I can put on other people or circumstances, drinking or using is my choice. And with that choice comes consequences, and with the consequences comes personal responsibility. Ultimately, I am the only one who will be responsible to the consequences of my choice, and the consequences of my drinking became simply too high for me to want to face. And we must honestly remember the consequences of our choice to use or drink — separation from or loss of family and-or friends, loss of a job or the threat of it, standing before a judge after spending the night in the county jail’s drunk tank for another DUI or for physically hurting someone else like a passing motorist or whoever we picked a fight with. Today, I can pray that the high cost of the consequences of choosing to drink and not wanting to be responsible to those consequences will keep me clean and sober another 24 Hours. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M., 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment