Friday, March 31, 2023

March 31, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Friday, March 31, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Grateful for Recovery

I can connect the dots from when I had my first drunken blackout at nineteen until now. From that night on, alcohol was always a problem. I could never just have a drink and then go about the rest of my day. So as long as alcohol was in my life, I was never going to be as good a naval flight officer or as devoted a husband as I could have been sober.

Getting on the other side of active alcoholism and moving on to my life as a sober person has had many wonderful perks. My patient wife is much happier with me now. I’m now better able to reach my full potential in the Navy, because I didn’t fully have my head together when I was drinking.

The other thing I didn’t realize before I got sober is how many resources are available to individuals who are in recovery. Also, if you surround yourself with like-minded people who understand you, recovery will get a lot easier very quickly. I’m grateful for that too.

Today I will be grateful for the gifts of recovery.

— Guy C., U.S. Navy, 2005–Currently Serving

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment