Saturday, October 22, 2022

Oct. 22, 2022 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

It is greed to do all the talking and not to want to listen at all. — Democritus

Sometimes at meetings, we see people who are in love with their own voice. They smile as they quote sayings and pages. We see them being happy at how clever and smart they are. This is life. This is ego, and as the above quote says, it is greed. They may be taking time away from the newcomer who needs to speak and whom we need to hear.

Ours is more of a program of listening than talking. We always need to be listening to the newly sober. It is their stories, pain, and fears that need to be heard. Their speaking helps them heal and reminds older members to be grateful and not greedy. We can’t afford to become smug and self-righteous. All of us are just one drink or pill away from relapse. We should ask ourselves,

“Am I someone who enjoys listening to the newcomers or just someone who enjoys listening to my own voice?”

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, open my ears and my heart, especially to the newcomer. Help me to be of service to others, sometimes just by listening.

Today’s Action

Today I will go to my meeting and ask the newest member to tell me his or her story. Then I will listen and learn.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment