Sunday, June 13, 2021

June 13, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Acknowledging addiction’s power

We talk about mood-altering substances as cunning, baffling, and powerful. And it’s true—there are many subtle, sly ways in which we set ourselves up to use again. For example, if we preferred one drug, we might try to convince ourselves that it was okay to use a different one. Or we might say, “Well, I just didn’t know it was so dangerous.” Some of us just keep hanging around our using “friends.”

We may use much tricky, deceitful reasoning with ourselves to go back to using, even though we know these behaviors are dangerous. Even though we know that by setting ourselves up time and again, we will only succeed in destroying our program.

Have I stopped setting myself up?

Higher Power, look out for me when I’m not capable of doing so.

Today I will remind myself of addiction’s power by…

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment