Wednesday, May 19, 2021

May 19, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Sorrow you can hold, however desolating, if nobody speaks to you. If they speak, you break down. — Bede Jarrett

Who among us has not known the loneliness of this addiction: the shame, the despair, the feeling of utter abandonment by other people, and the terror of being out of control? When calling an old lover or finding ourselves in the wrong part of town, we feel fearful, separate. We think, “I’m not like other people; they don’t do these things.” This is the message of our addiction. It says to us, “You are an outcast. You need me because you’re nothing without me. You’re worthless.”

As we recover, we discover that our addiction is a liar. We are not worthless, and we are not alone. We are a group of people recovering together, helping each other along.

And so, when you are in pain and unable to speak, I will be your voice. You will be my voice. I will be your heart. You will be my heart. We will hold each other up, and we, with the help of a Higher Power, will quite literally love each other into recovery.

God, I thank you for bringing me into recovery. Let me show you my gratitude by growing in my recovery.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment