Saturday, June 9, 2018

June 9, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Saturday, June 9, 2018

Reflection for the Day
Some of us, new in The Program, couldn't resist telling anyone who would listen just how "terrible" we were. Just as we often exaggerated our modest accomplishments by pride, so we exaggerated our defects through guilt. Racing about and "confessing all," we somehow considered the widespread exposure of our sins to be true humility, considering it a great spiritual asset. Only as we grew in The Program did we realize that our theatrics and story-telling were merely forms of exhibitionism. And with that realization came the beginning of a certain amount of humility.

Am I starting to become aware that I'm not so important after all?

Today I Pray
May I learn that there is a chasm of difference between real humility and the dramatic self-putdown. May I be confronted if I unconsciously demand center stage to out-do and "out-drunk" others with my "adventure" stories. May I be cautious that the accounts of my addictive misdeeds do not take on the epic grandeur of heroic exploits.

Today I Will Remember
I will not star in my own drunkologue (or junkologue).

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment