Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Oct. 3, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017

" ...I went to my first meeting. I was a very fortunate drunk. God has been good to me both in my drinking and in my sobriety. Because, thank God, since I came into this program, I haven't had any trouble. Oh yes, I get the dry jitters once in a while, but that isn't anything to worry about. It passes away. But I've never come close to that first drink. I took the advice of people I had heard at meetings, the people in the group. And I jumped in with both feet. Someone told me, 'When you drank, you didn't get half-drunk. You went all the way. In this program, there aren't any halfway measures. In here, you must go all the way, too.' So I attended as many meetings as possible." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Lost Nearly All," Ch 8 ("Desperation Drinking"), p 516.

Today, "half measures availed us nothing." Today, I will apply the full measures I exerted on drinking to get sober, and I will listen to the voices of experience and set aside the egoism that I think I know better than anyone else. And if a shot of the "dry jitters" creeps in, I have the Twelve Steps to fall back on and the promise that, "This, too, shall pass." But I must first get to the point that enough is enough and, today, I give it up, facing that enough is enough. With that desire for something better, I have taken my first baby step. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment