Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Aug. 9, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017

Reflection for the Day
On numerous occasions, I've found that there's a strong connection between my fears and my resentments. If I secretly fear that I'm inadequate, for example, I'll tend to resent deeply anybody whose actions or words expose my imagined inadequacy. But it's usually too painful to admit that my own fears and doubts about myself are the cause of my resentments. It's a lot easier to pin the blame on someone else's "bad behavior" or "selfish motives" - and use that as the justification for my resentment.

Do I realize that by resenting someone, I allow that person to live rent-free in my head?

Today I Pray
May God help me overcome my feelings of inadequacy. May I know that when I consistently regard myself as a notch or two lower than the next person, I am not giving due credit to my Creator, who has given each of us a special and worthwhile blend of talents. I am, in fact, grumbling about God's Divine Plan. May I look behind my trash-pile of resentments for my own self-doubt.

Today I Will Remember
As I build myself up, I tear down my resentments.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment