Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dec. 9, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

This is a “we” program.
-- Saying heard at meetings

Newcomer
Why must I have a sponsor? Can’t I do this on my own?

Sponsor
Sponsorship is a strong suggestion – not a rule. Yes, some people do stay in recovery without a sponsor. And no, we can’t recover on our own.

There are great advantages to taking the program suggestion to maintain a relationship with a sponsor. Recovery is a major change – it's one of the most difficult, most courageous things we can do in our lives. A sponsor, someone who's survived the ups and downs we’re facing in early recovery, can serve as a guide and mentor. He or she can answer our questions and help us through the Steps, giving us the benefit of his or her experience. With a sponsor present to witness our recovery process, to offer perspective and support, we may have a gentler ride.

When I was active in my addiction, I avoided the intimacy of relationships in which I might have to open myself to others or trust them. Even at times when there were many people in my life, I managed to avoid "people situations" that made me uncomfortable. A sponsor-sponsee relationship can be the start of learning that human beings can depend on one another.

Today, I'm not alone in recovery.

From the book:

If You Want What We Have © 1998 by Joan Larkin. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment