Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sept. 1, 2012 - Just for Today


Just for Today
Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012
Just for today, I ask in honesty if I have experienced the “spiritual awakening” promised in Step 12, the culmination of fierce and thorough practice of the previous 11 Steps and required of us to be effective carriers of the Program’s message to others. There is no blanket answer if we have had that spiritual renewal because that renewal is as unique to the individual as his or her program of recovery. But, in general terms, if I can say honestly that I no longer schedule my day around my addiction and don’t want to, if I can say I am better mentally and emotionally by taking on those character flaws that fed my addiction, if I can say in honesty that I want to offer help to the addict still in active use, if I can admit that my will is self-will run riot and that the will of a wiser and stronger Higher Power must be my guide - then, and only possibly then, can I say I have undergone the awakening of a “new” and better character than the one that prevailed in my active addition and early stages of recovery. But if, on the other hand, I can say honestly I have not undergone a fundamental change in character, in emotion, in morality, I best backtrack to the very beginning, to Step One: “Admitted (I am) powerless …” And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment