Tuesday, April 18, 2023

April 18, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

We’re Not Alone

I can’t even describe my amazement when I began reading the AA Big Book after I finally accepted that I’m an alcoholic. There I was, reading Bill W.’s story written in 1935, and it was my story. Everything said back in the 1930s fits me today. It meant I wasn’t alone. The people in the book made it through, which meant maybe I could make it. It gave me hope.

Then, in the VA residence facility and afterward at meetings in the community, I found other veterans in recovery going through the same things I was. For years, I thought I was the only one who felt this way, then I discovered men and women vets who had been to the same places and who had the same inner struggles I had.

One of the biggest things in the military is that there’s not one mission that gets done by itself. It’s a team effort. You win together, and you lose together. Same for recovery.

No matter how difficult the journey may be, I now know that I do not travel the road to recovery alone.

— Kenneth B., U.S. Air Force, 2001–2007

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment