Monday, October 25, 2021

Oct. 25, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Monday, Oct. 25, 2021

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

I’ve learned that you can’t have everything and do everything at the same time. — Oprah Winfrey

We wanted it all. We wanted to feel good all the time. We wanted to be right and have everyone see how right we were. We wanted to always be at the center of all the action. We wanted life to adjust to us, instead of us adjusting to life. What a house of cards. Often we wanted so much because we felt so empty inside.

If we try and do it all and have it all, we will fail. Life has limits, so we have to make choices. As we go through life, we pick and choose. We put together a good or poor life. In recovery, we learn that we are to pick people over things, principles over ego, and values over sensations. All of this involves stopping and thinking. We need to reflect on what our Higher Power wants for us. Instead of trying to do everything, we just concentrate on doing the next right thing. Over time we stop wanting everything and start to see we are enough, and we have enough.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me to see that with you, my friends, and my family, I am enough. When I feel empty, direct me toward that which feeds my spirit instead of my desires.

Today’s Action

Today I will sit, reflect, and make a list of how my desire to have everything got me in trouble. I will then share this information with a friend.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment