Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Dec. 5, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017

Today, religious vs. spiritual experience. "We are taught religion, but we are born of the spirit." In recovery, considering a spiritual awakening, am I supposed to guide my program to a religion if I have have none? Not at all. A religious conversion means only that I have embraced a set of beliefs and canons that have been defined by the founders or administrators of an organized religion. This does not mean I live by that standard, however. A spiritual awakening, on the other hand, can be something as simple as seeing a truth about myself that I never saw before. I may not even realize I have had a spiritual awakening until I see, one day, that I have given up my character defects in favor of the program's goals of selflessness and release of resentments, anger and fear. Today, I can understand that religion and spiritual maturity are parallel train tracks that never intersect, that one can have both religion and spirituality, or religion without spirituality, and spirituality without religion. Unlike my religious development, my spiritual awareness comes from within me, not outside. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment